Thursday, February 23, 2012

Belated Gong Xi Fa Cai- of Birds & Dragons

Ah, new years & new resolutions-- time to get back into the discipline of keeping a timely blog.  In honour of this year's celestial annual animal:  http://io9.com/5810012/paleontologist-explains-how-to-make-dinosaurs-from-chickens.  (This is a TED talk with paleontologist, Jack Horner.)  This changes my view of my flock.  While I beg to differ with Mr. Horner about chickens being cool, I love learning that I am raising a herd of avian dinosaurs!

Right in time for Imbolc, new lambs have been wandering the property, new chicks (Ameraucanas) are in the brooder, and our Salvia elegans-- which is supposed to be an annual in our zone, survived the mild winter and actually has a wee bloom on it which seems to please the hummingbirds.  Daily egg harvests are rising with the lengthening days, while the new cedar sided barn gets closer to completion.  We are all eagerly awaiting Spring.

1 comment:

  1. Maloti- Thank you kindly for the words of encouragement. It's been a challenge working full-time in addition farming, but I hope to get back to my blog with some regularity soon. Hearing from you means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete